photographic art and inspirational verse
Stroke of Emotions
The Stroke of Emotions Series was created after my husband had a major stroke in 2017.
In an effort to deal with my worry and feelings of helplessness I turned to my hobby of photography.
I took self portraits and created composited images using my photographic library to help define and illustrate my feelings.
From devastation through rejuvenation, it is a story of a healing journey that I hope will help others going through a difficult time.
No matter who we are, we all face life challenges.
No matter what crisis we face, we all struggle with a range of feelings.
Sometimes I cry so hard I think the tears will never stop.
Sometimes I feel so tired I want to lay my head down and sleep forever.
Sometimes I feel absolutely nothing and wonder if I will ever feel happy again.
- Sara Harley
Stroke of Emotions - the full story
I have written a book including these images in hopes that it may help someone else deal with their own struggle through difficult times.
The complete story of Stroke of Emotions is available to view and/or purchase online through Blurb Books.
feedback from a presentation
You gave us a brave presentation of your recent life journey though the self-portraits that you displayed. The images were more expressive of feelings than words could ever be. I could see myself & my journey in the single self-images that you showed before you added to them. Every emotion that I felt was right there on the screen.
Then when you added the additional layers to your single image I could travel through the feelings being expressed. Life changes are challenging to the very depth of our resilience. Your sharing of these sequences allowed me to know that other people have the same emotional travel that I have had.
from the Stroke of Emotions Series
1. great destruction or damage.
2. severe and overwhelming shock or grief.
1. feelings of severe despondency and dejection.
2. a mental condition characterized by feelings of severe despondency and dejection, typically also with feelings of inadequacy and guilt, often accompanied by lack of energy
and disturbance of appetite and sleep.
plural noun: choices
1. an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.
1. a thing that bears the weight of something or keeps it upright.
2. a source of comfort or encouragement.
1. a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
2. grounds for believing that something good may happen.
Exhibits and Publications
Picturing Health Exhibit
My Stroke of Emotions project has been accepted for publication in
Seeing in SIXES 2018 published by LensWork. Fifty projects were selected from more than 1500 submissions to be featured in this book.
312 pages, currently available for purchase at this link.